Well here it is guys! Want the perfect recipe for a deliciously moist chocolate cake? Then look no further than here! I bring you my Ultimate Chocolate Cake! This simple chocolate cake recipe is definitely a crowd pleaser, and in my opinion is the best chocolate cake recipe ever.
So what do we look for in a chocolate cake? One of the most common responses is it can't be dry (and unfortunately many chocolate cakes are!). Chocolate mud cakes are delicious and of course, not dry, but they can be very rich and heavy, due to the high butter, sugar and chocolate content. The recipe I have for you is much lighter than a mud cake, moist, and paired with the chocolate fudge icing, is dessert-heaven!
A couple of tips when making this cake:
1. Make sure eggs are at room temperature.
2. Choose a good-quality, unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably dutch-processed (or look for label saying "alkalised).
3. Buttermilk is key. I've tried regular milk, but I find using buttermilk results in a better, more moist chocolate cake. You can substitute store-bought buttermilk by using 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup and fulling the remaining cup with milk (Use a measuring jug for this recipe to measure 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vinegar and measuring remaining milk up to 1 and 1/2 cups).
4. Cake flour lends to a softer cake. You can buy store-bought cake flour, or make your own. To make your own cake flour, you just need plain flour + cornflour (cornstarch). For every cup of flour, remove 2 tablespoons of flour and replace with 2 tablespoons of cornflour. Sift the flours 5-6 times, and it is ready to use.
***Keep reading below to get my Ultimate Chocolate Cake recipe!***
Ultimate Chocolate Cake Recipe
2 cups sugar
115g butter, melted
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup good quality, unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons bicarb soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup warm coffee (or 2 teaspoons instant coffee in 1 cup boiled water)
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup caster sugar
3 cups icing sugar
2/3 cups cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C (fan-forced). Grease and line two 20cm (8 inch) round cake pans with baking paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla, until light.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and bicarb soda. Add to the egg mixture and beat on low until just combined. Measure buttermilk and coffee together in a measuring jug and with mixture running on low, slowly pour into batter. Scrape sides of bowl and mix until ingredients are just incorporated. The mixture should become quite runny.
4. Pour batter equally between prepared cake pans. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool ice cakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting. The cake is best served at room temperature.
To make the Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
1. In a saucepan, stir butter, milk and sugar together over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
2. Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder together in a bowl and add to the melted ingredients. Whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until thickened.
3. Once thickened, remove from refrigerator and beat with electric beaters until mixture has a whipped/fluffy consistency.